Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My tiny kitchen: episode 3

Episode 4 was filmed first, but I will post episode 3 because it is fresher.


Eggplant and rostbratwurst red wine stir fry

A package of 6 rostbratwurst can last me 3 weeks because I sample so many different things during the week.  Germans might cry knowing that I didn’t rost the rostbratwurst and cut it into small pieces and contaminated it with gemüse (vegetables).  If eating elsewhere, sausages are typically served alone or accompanied by some form of potatoes, fries are most likely.  That probably sounds normal if you’re not me.
The ingredients, minus some seasonings and spices

Chopped ingredients.  I don't know why I made the carrots circular and everything else prismatic

Browned the sausage on 5 or 6 (my hot plates go up to 6).   While browning sausage, realized I forgot to chop garlic.  Sausage got browner than intended while chopping garlic
 
Add onions, rostbratwurst, carrots, and garlic.  Stir while frying for a few minutes until the garlic smells deliciously toasty.
Dump these contents into something else to free up the pan for frying eggplant, unless you have an amazing skillet and an extra burner available to you.  Heat up some oil in the pan for eggplant.  Add as many spices and seasonings as you want to, including garlic, dried basil, ground pepper, cumin, pepper flakes, etc. 

Fry the eggplant in your seasoned oil.  Eggplants are sponges, and hopefully you were not stingy on the oil.

Add the other things we previously fried and stir
Add ~ 100 ml red wine.  That’s about how much pinot noir I was left in the bottle I’ve been ‘cooking with’ for a week. 

Lower the heat (down to 2 on for my hot plate) and let red wine reduce.  Note: just because red wine boiling vigorously does not mean your heat is too high… boiling point!
Uncover it and turn the hot plate off.  Mine will stay hot for at least the ten more minutes.  
Taste it.  It’s hard to spice and season this stuff enough, and if you over browned the sausage like I did, then you locked all the flavor into the sausage instead of letting it diffuse out and flavor everything else.  So, you can add stuff to make it saucy and mingle the flavors better.

Honey

Fresh lemon


One of those hard candies from episode 1

Turn the mix a lot, flavors aren't going to mix themselves at this point
I recommend more pepper and stir well.  Rostbratwurst is already quite salty, I don’t recommend adding salt at any point.
Stale bread can be revived in the absence of a microwave or toaster by sprinkling a few drops of tap water onto it and then baking it slightly on the hot plate while COVERED.

Served with a salad of red lettuce and radicchio dressed with garlicy olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and ground pepper.   Topped both dishes with that goat cheese I got at the market by the Dom last weekend.  Served with a schwarzbier.  I only own wine glasses right now.  It makes up for the forest of pint glasses in my office in Houston.

Hope that was tasty.  Guten appetit!

1 comment:

  1. That was actually a lot to eat. I like the cutting board art, very nice

    ReplyDelete