Sunday, October 16, 2011

Running and running landscapes

Someone subtly suggest that I should run more often.  Last evening, I decided to run by the river.  By the time I decided, however, the sun which warmed the air to about 14 C (upper 50s, F ) during the day had already set leaving remnants of warm air emanating only slightly from the pavement as the overall temperature fell below 10 C (50 F).  In addition, I need about 30 min to walk to the river from my Wohnheim.  Running there and back may not give me much time along the river within my threshold: my Vibram FiveFinger shoes enhance the sensitivity of my feet to the ground and given the cobblestones and occasional hills (real ones, some times big ones), hello calves, ankles (especially the left one), and metatarsils.  I rode my bicycle to the river (I purchased a used one for 45 € with the lock from a shack on campus called UniBike).  I prepared for the impending windchill with a good (but cheap) pair of gloves with grips for cycling I found at Aldi and these clothes:

That's green toe shoes, black tights, maroon shorts, a light blue turtleneck, and a magenta windbreaker.  Good thing my gloves were also black.  I elected to try my new purple toe socks (Thanks James!) another time.  

In practicality, this outfit was perfect.  While the air chilled my toes through my permeable shoes during the bike ride, they quickly warmed up as closer and more dynamic contact with the cobble stoned or gravel ground increased circulation as I ran along the river.

I ran from marker 3 to 5 and back.  The red oval indicates the general vicinity of Hartenberg Park, at least where I start.  Most foot trails can't be found on the map.

The trees on the opposite bank connected with silhouettes.  Strangers waiting, up and down the boulevard, their shadows searching in the night.  The water shimmered with the musky yellow streetlights next to the river and over the bridges.  Delaying the outing until nightfall is half the excitement and made me twice as alert as I would have been during the day, although much of that is apprehension for falling.  

This route was a great alternative to my favorite weekend route next to my Wohnheim where I would not go at night, Hartenberg Park and the gardens beyond.  From my apartment, a quick shortcut uphill through a driveway and a parking lot takes me to the playgrounds of Hartenberg Park, through which I can pass downhill to the back gardens of countryside-esque homes.  Just last weekend, I ran in shorts and a t-shirt, and finally with my camera :-)




Cabbage!




Discarded colorful physallis

Stairs!  Of course I should climb them
The stairs lead to a footbridge over the railroad tracks, then there are stairs back down to ground
View from the footbridge, facing the other side
View from the stairs, next to the first picture of RR tracks
On the other side of the stairs





What a great place to run, and next to my apartment!


Why I should keep running: Friday night's dessert, fried bananas with vanilla ice cream







"Strangers waiting, up and down the boulevard, their shadows searching in the night" - Copyright: Journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment