Monday, February 6, 2012

Medizin

Three weeks ago, on Friday the 13th, I visited a doctor because to replenish my supply of daily synthetic thyroid hormone.  The visit went impressively easy, once I found the right place.  First, I went to Ludwigplatz and not Ludwigstrasse.  The building with the same number but on the wrong street was the courts.  Law, medicine, same thing.  The nice man at security looked up the name of the doctor for me and sent me in the right direction, which was easier to get to than Ludwigplatz.  Jonathan and Allayna recommended this lady.  Although they had not seen her, they received the recommendation from an English speaking site.  The day before, Irene talked to the receptionist over the phone for me because the receptionist did not speak English.  The visiting hours were 8am-12pm that morning, no appointments, first come, first serve.  I did not arrive until after 10am.  When I arrived, I paid 10 Euros, because my government run health insurance requires its holders to pay 10 Euros once every quarter of the year if they should seek services.  In other words, if I need to go to another doctor before I leave Germany, I will not have to pay again.  I was the only one in the waiting room when I arrived, and waited not more than 10 minutes.  2 more people arrived before I was called in.  The physician asked me a few questions, I showed her my prescription bottle that I brought with me, and she determined that since I will return to the states in 1 month and had my blood tested in July, she wrote me the prescription for 100 tablets (so 100 days worth) without further tests, knowing that I would receive my next blood test back in the states.  "It will cost five Euro" she said, followed by "yea, unfortunately you almost always have to pay something for prescriptions in Germany".  Five Euro for 100 days worth?!?  Wow, what a deal!  After the ~ 5 minute visit I went to the Apotheke around the corner.  I handed over the prescription to the pharmacist behind the counter, who took it, looked in a drawer, pulled out a package containing my 100 tablets of medication at the right dose, handed it to me, I paid 5 Euro, and the visit was over in about 2 minutes total.  I really thought I would have to set aside my whole morning, and possibly have to make multiple trips for medication.  German word of the day: Shilddrüseunterfunktion - you can figure this one out

No comments:

Post a Comment